Monday 30 March 2009

30th March 2009 - Asparagus Crowns are in!


My first blog post...exciting!

I moved house last year to a country cottage with a huge garden - .25 of an acre. It had 3 well tended veg plots and the previous owners are a hard act to follow on the gardening front.

I wanted to start a blog mainly to help with diarising (is that a word?) my planting and making it easy to look back on year after year. My successes, my disasters etc.

Today after much internet research I planted out my 10 x Gijnlm (don't ask me how to pronounce that!) Asparagus Crowns.

I dug a trench- 8" deep , filled 2" of it with compost, topped the compost with soil in a ridge shape and laid the crowns in a spider like fashion on top of the ridge about 4" from the top of the trench. Then back filled the trench.

Boy they need some space - luckily that's not something I am short of right now.

They also need plenty of time - its going to be 3 years before I can tuck into a plate of buttered asparagus tips!

Hopefully good things come to those who wait...

No comments:

Post a Comment