Sunday 31 January 2010

The 1st sign of Spring 2010



After several weeks which saw the biggest snowfall, well since last Februray anyway, I awoke with a strong desire to get outside today - despite a banging headache. I think I was under some illusion that an icy blast will clear my head.

-2 degrees, sunshine plus a few snowflakes - that is today's weather in a nutshell.

I wrapped up well, wellies, hat and fleece, popped on my solar powered radio for a spot of The Archers Omnibus and ventured into the garden to do a few little jobs and to my delight saw some perfect little snowdrops and some yellow crocus in bloom.

Did you know that soldiers were so enchanted by snowdrops that they brought them back from the Crimean War battlefields to plant in their gardens?

Those tiny little milky white helmets put a wry smile on my face and I am seriously feeling like Spring is just around the corner now - and I just adore spring.

I am not sure what I am going to do in the garden this year as we are about to start extending the cottage. It seems futile to sow heaps of veg if I am not going to be able to tend to them as I am expecting most of it will get trashed by machinery and rubble.

I am however so looking forward to the build being complete and starting the garden again but this time as a blank canvas rather than the legacy I took on.

I have lots of ideas and I think I will be spending a lot of time planning and designing over spring and summer this year. I need a multi-functional garden which will incorporate space for kids, dogs, chickens, fruit and veggies, trees (oh how I long for some trees), space for entertaining and of course above all a space for me to relax and admire the view.

Watch this space...

No comments:

Post a Comment